Tuesday 8 October 2013

The biggest misconception I think people have about being single

So today is day 5 of the Single Woman's 30 day blogging challenge and the question asked just made me start thinking of all my single pet peeves! I could just feel my mind going back to all sorts of insensitive comments that I have received over the years and in the not too distant past (breathe Bunmi, breathe).
I don't even know which one takes 1st place for being the biggest, most annoying misconception so I am just going to put them all down and let you decide (easy way out). Soooooooo, for me, I think the one that annoys me more than any others, at the moment at least, is that because I am single, I have no opinion on things that relate to marriage and kids. As far as people are concerned, I neither have kids nor have been married so what do I know? Errrrrrrrrrrrmmmmm, excuse me, ever heard of the well of knowledge? *big Nigerian style hiss* anyways! their loss! my gain for future use when I am married and have kids.
Oh! Another one is that because I am single, I have loaddddddddddddsssssss of time and money on my hands. Obviously, with no man and kids to take care of, what could I possibly be busy doing? Obviously I must just be sitting around twiddling my thumbs with absolutely nothing to do *rolls eyes* and for that reason, why must I not come for every church programme or help every Kate, Shawn and Gbemi that needs a lift or help? Or why am I tired when I don't have a house full of man and kids to run? I don't even bother dignifying such comments with an answer anymore, there is no point.
Or that I am single and so there must be something wrong with me *confused face* how does being single automatically relate to having some hang up or fault? Oh! I almost forgot this one! You are single so you must meet this guy, he is single too and really wants to settle down, you guys will get on so well, let me give him your number. It doesn't matter whether or not said man can be dated by said person trying to hook you up (don't let me start my naija style hissing again).
The list could go on and on but let's just be civilised and keep it at this before you all think I am a bitter single person, Actually if you think that, you are entitled to your own thoughts. Who am I to enter your head and change said thought?
For those that think any of the above listed and those not mentioned about single people, please........give singletons the benefit of doubt. And if you can't, keep your opinion to yourself! Same way you don't want a single person telling you how to run your home or take care of your spouse is the same way we singles don't want your opinions on our lives and how we live or don't live it.









No comments:

Post a Comment